Returning triumphantly for it’s 7th year, Cosplay Combat Chess is AMKE’s one and only cosplay role play event. Watch your favorite characters go head to head in a thrilling contest of wit and skill. Don’t think this is a chess club social. Expect high-flying action as the competitors fight armed with swords, fists, energy blasts, and insults.
See you all on the battlefield!
Want to join the battle? THEN SHOW US YOUR MOVES!
We are looking for entertaining cosplayers to act as chess pieces for the duration of Cosplay Combat Chess. The success of the event will depend on the ability of these people to portray their characters in an energetic and enthusiastic manner. The goal is NOT to win! The goal is to have fun and put on a good show for all those in attendance.
Online registration is open now through January 31, 2019. All candidates will be judged primarily on their ability to role-play as their characters, the amount of enthusiasm they show for their roles, and quality of their costumes. Auditions will be awarded on a first come, first served basis, and spots are limited, so don’t get left behind!
Additional rules and guidelines are listed below.
Please send any questions to our e-mail address at email@example.com
Qualifications and Expectations
- No previous experience is necessary. However, we will consider any background candidates may have in improvisation, stage combat, live action role-play, or other events similar to Cosplay Combat Chess. Familiarity with the game of chess is helpful, but not required.
- Potential candidates may be invited to an audition either via Skype or in person during which they will have the chance to prove themselves before a panel of judges.
- Chosen participants will be required to attend a briefing and meet up event to be scheduled either prior to or during the convention. Participants are expected to inform the Event Coordinator at least 1 week in advance if they will not be able to attend.
- Participants must be registered as an Anime Milwaukee Attendee within 30 days of their selection for the Event.
- This is to ensure a level of commitment from potential Participants.
- Full Weekend Registration is preferred, as it allows for potential schedule changes and participation in CCC meet ups prior to the Event.
- Pre-Register for Anime Milwaukee 2019
- Some Candidates not chosen may be asked to act as Understudies. Understudies may become Participants if a current Participant fails to show up to, drops out of, or is otherwise disqualified from the Event.
- All participants are encouraged to discuss the Event with other participants via the AMKE forums or other media. Participants will be informed who their opponents will be during the Event. Together, they will be able to plan out how their fight will proceed, ensuring for a more refined performance.
- Please note that discussing specifics of the Event with Non-Participants is strongly discouraged. Nothing good will come of spreading Spoilers!
- Participants will be required to sign a legal waiver form prior to participating in the Event. Participants under the age of 18 will need their waiver form signed by their legal parent or guardian.
- Participants will be expected to stand or kneel for long periods of time (i.e. on the chess board) and engage in one or more mock battles, each typically lasting for no longer than one minute a piece.
- Piece assignment will be predetermined based on auditions and are subject to change at any time.
- All participants are required to abide by the decisions made by the Event Coordinator, Casting Director, and other CCC Staff.
- All costumes must adhere to all Anime Milwaukee standards governing costumes and props. (Prop and Costume Policy)
- All costumes and props must be approved by the Event Coordinator prior to the event or else they will not be allowed.
- Only candidates with “Finished” costumes will be considered as participants. A costume is considered finished when it reasonably resembles the intended character and has sufficient components (i.e. shirt, pants, footwear, props, wig and/or headgear, etc.). Whether or not a costume is considered finished is the sole decision of the Event Coordinator.
- Works in progress are permitted, but proof of “finished” costume must be submitted to CosplayCombatChess@animemilwaukee.org before January 31st, 2019. Participants without proof of a finished costume by this day may be subject to disqualification.
- Only cosplays of “Active” characters will be considered. An Active character is defined as a character that fights often or utilizes active abilities that can be used in combat in their primary medium (manga, anime, video games, etc). Whether or not a character is considered an Active character is the sole decision of the Event Coordinator.
- For example, a person dressed as Light Yagami from Death Note would not likely be chosen as a participant since Light never fights anyone, other than L, in the anime. While it is true that Light has killed numerous people, he has no real combat skills, thus Light cannot be considered an “Active” character.
The Prime Directive
Above all else, HAVE FUN!
Good Luck! We hope to see you on the Battlefield!
ANY AND ALL MATERIALS SENT SUBMITTED FOR AUDITIONS WILL BECOME THE PROPERTY OF ANIME MILWAUKEE. SAID MATERIALS SHALL NOT BE MADE AVAILABLE TO ANY PERSON OR ENTITY THAT IS NOT A MEMBER OF ANIME MILWAUKEE STAFF, AND WILL NOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN THE JUDGING OF A CANDIDATE’S QUALIFICATIONS OR FOR MAINTIANING RECORDS OF PARTICIPANTS, UNLESS PROMISSION HAS BEEN OBTAINED FROM THE CANDIDATE IN QUESTION. ALL MATERIALS NOT NEEDED FOR RECORDS WILL BE DESTROYED FOLLOWING THE EVENT.