Come and see one of the biggest events that will happen at Anime Milwaukee, the Cosplay Masquerade! Whether you plan to strut your stuff or just want to watch the show, there’s something for everyone to see. This cosplay contest is one of our biggest events of the weekend.
The Masquerade will begin at 5:30 pm in Main Programming. Time to sit back, relax and watch cosplayers’ show off months of hard work onstage while you cheer for your favorite contestants!
Want to register to participate?
The Masquerade is designed for cosplayers whose costume would be best presented in an on-stage format or who wish to perform a short skit on-stage. For cosplayers who wish to have their costume judged but do not want to go on stage, we recommend entering the Hallway Masquerade.
Anime Milwaukee 2019 Masquerade
- PRE-REGISTRATION: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2018 to MONDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2018
- SKIT REVIEW: SCHEDULE TBD
- CRAFTSMANSHIP JUDGING: SCHEDULE TBD
- MASQUERADE CALL TIME: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2019 @ 3:45 PM
- MASQUERADE START TIME: SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2019 @ 5:30 PM
MASQUERADE OFFICE HOURS:
FRIDAY: 9:30 AM-12:00 PM AND 1:00 PM-6:30 PM
SATURDAY: 9:00 AM-12:00 PM, 1:00 PM-3:45 PM, AND 8:30 PM-9:00 PM
SUNDAY: 10:00 AM-1:00 PM FEEDBACK SESSION
Office location: Wisconsin Center, TBA
Cosplayers may compete for awards in two major areas: presentation (based on how the costumes appear when presented) and craftsmanship (based on close examination of the costumes backstage).
- CHIBI: Young cosplayers (12 and under) may compete in this category and not against adults, unless they wish to.
- NOVICE: The Novice division exists to encourage people who are new to cosplay and masquerades to compete.
- JOURNEYMAN: This division is for cosplayers who have won awards in, or whose skill exceeds, the Novice division, but who feel they are not yet ready to compete in the Master division.
- MASTER: This division is for cosplayers at the top of their craft. Anyone may compete in the Master division.
- EXHIBITION: This division is for cosplayers who are not eligible to compete in another division.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
If you have not done so already, please take a moment to review the Masquerade Rules and Regulations.
The Hallway Masquerade contest is back! Don’t want to sign up for the main event, but still want to show off your costume?
Visit the Masquerade HQ (Wisconsin Center, TBA) anytime Friday, from 10 am to 5:30 pm and Saturday, from 9 am to 3 pm. The winners for the weekend will be announced on Saturday night, during the award portion of the Masquerade. You must be present at the Masquerade to win!
Hallway Masquerade Rules
- Hallway Cosplay judging will take place Friday 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM and Saturday 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- There is no pre-registration for the Hallway Cosplay Contest. Registration forms will be available at the Hallway Cosplay station.
- You may only enter once per day. The same costume may not be used on each day.
- If you are entering a costume in the Masquerade, you may not enter it in the Hallway Cosplay contest.
- Master Division cosplay is not eligible for the Hallway Cosplay Competition. Master Division is only eligible for the Masquerade.
- All costumes must conform to all convention and state guidelines for decency.
- Your costume will be judged on accuracy, craftsmanship, and construction.
- Reference material for your character is highly recommended. Hard copy photos or digital files accepted.
- Awards will be announced during the Masquerade performance.
- The Masquerade Department Head reserves the right to have the final word on all decisions regarding the Masquerade and Hallway Cosplay Competitions.
- Best Individual Novice: the best novice-level craftsmanship.
- Best Individual Journeyman: the best journeyman-level craftsmanship.
- Best Group: the best craftsmanship we saw from a group.
- Best Prop: the best craftsmanship on a prop we saw, on Friday and Saturday.
- Best Chibi: the best child craftsmanship we saw, on Friday and Saturday.
- Closet Cosplay Award: the best example of closet cosplay, what you found at stores or in your closet to make your entire costume.
Read more about our new Masquerade Staff: HERE