The Best (and Worst) of the Prose is back at AMKE, and this time there are a few, ahem, adjustments. The 3rd Anime Milwaukee Fantastic Fanfiction Contest is calling all writers attending Anime Milwaukee 2020 to show your creativity through your fandoms, and your original works. From now until February 13th, 2020, we will be accepting fanfiction submissions of many types, and this time we’re not leaving stones unturned.
Why? Because for the FIRST TIME EVER, the Contest is introducing an 18+ DIVISION for those entries that wouldn’t be safe for youngsters to read. We always encourage our attendees to be creative, and we have multiple categories in this contest where they can do just that. We will be giving out multiple prizes for the main categories in each division and will be announced at the Manga Library during the con. Below are the categories for both divisions and the new rules. Happy writing!
All Ages Main Categories
- Best Genre – applies to Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, Action, Adventure, Mystery, etc.
- Best Comedy – the goal is laughter
- Best Ship (Romance) – for the characters in relationships
- Best Drama – applies to Drama, Angst, Hurt/Comfort, Suspense, etc.
- Best in Troll – Obvious troll fic is obvious
- Worst in Show – the WORST of the WORST
All Ages Sub-Categories
Our staff has a list of hidden sub-categories as well. If we find a fic that wins one of those, it will be recognized.
18+ Main Categories
- Best Yaoi/Yuri/Slash
- Best Comedy
- Best Ship
- Best Drama
- The MOST HORRIBLE LEMON EVER WRITTEN (for this contest)
There’s a naughty list of hidden sub-categories here too. One may or may not involve tentacles.
- Only writers who will be at Anime Milwaukee 2020 in person are eligible to participate in this contest.
- All submissions must be sent via email to email@example.com
- When submitting, please put “2020 Fantastic Fanfiction contest” in the subject line.
- If you are NOT submitting an entry for the 18+ division, please keep your submissions PG-13. We understand this may not always be possible, but as this convention is family-friendly, we strongly encourage the same for this contest. Which leads us to this….
- All LEMONS and ADULT FICTION entries will be confined to the 18+ division.
- Due to the amount of submissions, we are introducing a 4,000 word limit per entry for our 2020 contest. This applies to every division and every category.
- In your submission email, let us know which category you want your fic to be nominated for. Your fic can be nominated for more than one category, but please let us know if you want that to be the case. However…..
- Only one category can be won by a particular fanfic, AND
- Each fanfic can only be entered in one division
- Please submit your fanfic to us in an attached file (.doc, .docx files are preferred) with your submission.
- Make sure your fanfiction’s title is listed in your submission as well as in your attached file.
- Please make sure the fic is in legible English. No weird spacing, Wingding fonts, etc.
- IMPORTANT: Only NEWLY WRITTEN works will be accepted for this contest. If it’s been posted on other writing websites in the past (Ao3, ff.net, wattpad, etc.) then it’s not eligible. Period.
- To be eligible for a prize, potential winners must be present and in person at the Fantastic Fanfiction Contest Winners panels for the respective divisions (times and rooms to be determined).
- Above all else, BE CREATIVE and HAVE FUN!